Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and thyme.

Beth and I had the second in a series of unofficial "lessons" in natural and herbal remedies from Mrs. Flippen today. I missed the first one since we were in Indiana but got a quick catch up on what they did from Beth which was to make their own Echinneacea tincture. Today we finished it and I am now stocked for a long time! I counldn't beleive how much cheaper it is to make yourself!!! Of course you have to grow it in your yard like Mrs. Flippen does.

Anyway today we made a cold and flu remedy which is actually quite tasty to use as a salad dressing or take straight. First we spent lots of time chopping up a half cup each of parsley, garlic, onion, horseradish root, and ginger root. Then we put it in a quart jar and filled it to the top with raw apple cider vinegar. Next she chucked the whole concoction in the blender, put it back in the jar and closed the jar. It was so easy. Now I have it sitting on my counter and I have to shake it every day for a couple weeks to prevent any part from molding and then strain it into a jar through cheesecloth.

She also gave us a wonderful talk on her experience with natural remedies. She is a veritable bible of information. The most interesting thing I learned is that garlic contains two compounds which combine when it is cut open with a knife to produce a chemical called "allison" which has highly potent antibactierial and antiviral properties but is only active for twenty minutes and then its potency diminishes, so you have to consume it right away. Smelly I suppose, but fascinating nonetheless.

Anyway other than that I lazed about and ate cheddar cheese and pineapple (not together, that sounded really gross) all afternoon, did not go for my daily walk, and read a prengancy book Beth let me borrow while the kids trashed the bedroom. I did however practice some more guitar this evening. I still sound atrocious but enjoy myself thoughoughly.

So here's to herbal remedies and guitar --hence the most wonderful title of my post.

p.s. One of the few times I have ever wished to be a man has been trying to sing a Johnny cash song on the guitar. I don't think even the most feminist guitar player should attempt it. You just need a man's voice. At least Ben and I can sing "It ain't me Babe" together.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

I hear that Dr. Flippen used to chew so many cloves of garlic a day that the students had to ask him to quit. They couldn't stand to be in his classroom. Sounds like it might be true!!

Anonymous said...

I think that "It Ain't Me Babe" should be every married couple's sing-along song together. Isn't it just the perfect song for building relationships? Martin and I sometimes sing "My Girlfriend's Dead" and that's a good one too, although more violent. And it's not exactly singing together... it's more like singing along with the CD in the car... together.... but.... well, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I know I just love it.

Anonymous said...

Oh and sarah. Mrs. Flippen says she hates the tast eof garlic so she chops it up real tiny and swallows it like a pill but Dr. F loves to chew it. So it sounds like that could be true.

Ben Hatke said...

I remember that garlic story from my freshman year! And I was told that it was back when there were sill classrooms in the basement of Campion because it bothered the girls upstairs.

Man, poor guy can't live nothin' down!

Jill said...

When I worked in Admissions we could smell the garlic as he came down the hallway. We always could tell when Dr. Flippen was coming.

Anonymous said...

Anna,

What pregnancy book did you read? Which ones do you recommend? I am searching for a non cheesy or fruity pregnancy book.

Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, this one is definitley cheesy. It's called Wise woman's herbal. Its got some good stuff in it but definitley not anything you can't find elsewhere.

I remember really liking Sheila Kitzinger's book on pregnancy and "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" is fabulous. I really reccomend that one. I liked Spiritual Midwifery but it might be too "out there" for you (wink) It has some interesting birth stories in it and the section in the back on diet and compications and treatments etc was REALLY good. I do NOT reccomend "What to expect when you are expecting." Its so singsongy and wishwashy and trying to be all natural and hypermedical and sentimental at the same time. I liked it with my first pregnancy but when I picked it up again when I was pregnant with ZIta, I was like WHAT???? I can't beleive I used to like this book!

There is also a really good book on Postpartum care someone recommended to me. Unfortunatey the name slips my mind right now but I will try and find it.


Sorry if I offended the "what to expect" crowd. I'm sure its a usedful sort of book too. :)

Ben Hatke said...

Well, Jill, garlic is SO HEALTHY that I'm sure people will be able to tell Dr. F is on his way for the next 150 years or so...

Margaret E. Perry said...

can I just say that while this cold remedy might be quite spectacular and very yummy it looks horrid.

that's all.

yay! Garlic and Bob Dylan.

Sarah said...

Anna --I totally agree with you about what to expect.

Anonymous said...

Anna, Sheila Kitzinger wrote "Rediscovering Birth," is this the one you mean?