Friday, April 16, 2010


The cat brought us live baby bunnies. . . . . much to the girls delight.

We only kept them for the afternoon and then put them out in the evening for their mama bunny to come get them, Unfortunatley the next few days there was the same blood bath of baby rabbits in the yard that we had last summer. I guess our cat just really has a taste for rabbit. Cruel cruel mother nature.

Julia has been chasing the cat and saying "Pia, no honey bunting. "

Also, there was a totally random convention of Amish people at the abandoned gas station the other day. (layers of irony there, I know) I stopped to ask them if they needed help with there car-- I know--why were they driving a car which incidentally they abandoned there--, I have no idea. They were dressed pretty traditional too .. so, yeah, weird. It was cute to see all the little boys in straw hats wave at Angelica though. She waved back.

We planted out potatoes this week and swiss chard. Hoping to get more in next week. I suppose I ought to be grateful to the cat for decreasing the rabbit population around the garden. Why, why, why was I raised on Beatrix Potter? It makes one so sympathetic to the rabbits.

5 comments:

j'aime said...

i love your last remark! silly pia. i never realized the killer instinct was so strong in her. luckily artemis only hunts bugs and sometimes my plants.
maybe someone had given the amish the car so they were convening about the best way to dispose of it. or maybe they didn't know how to put gas in it.

Daniel Nichols said...

Anna, there are Beachy Amish in Virginia, who dress traditionally but use cars. They also, unlike other Amish, do missionary work...

Daniel Nichols said...

Anna, there are Beachy Amish in Virginia, who dress traditionally but use cars. They also, unlike other Amish, do missionary work.

Laura said...

growing potatoes is the best,ever. they are so satisfying... next to tomatoes and pumpkins!

But I like how you have to dig around to find the potato. Also, you can continue to bury the leaves when they first grow, with extra boards to hold the dirt on, and get even more potatoes (like making a mound on top of the plants...)

--la bibliotecaria laura

Hummingbirder said...

I wish I could have been there for the Amish experience. I didn't know there were Amish in Virginia.
We have two baby goats born on 4/14 and keets if you want to bring the kids by...